Thursday

April Showers Bring May Awnings?


We all have customers that will call you when they are being reactive. Since they are your customer, you have to tend to their needs and help them in their "crisis". How many times have you wondered why they wait until the last minute to order or for something bad to happen until they do call you? This sound familiar: "Mr. Sign and Awning company, I have 5 feet of snow in front of my door and my customers can't get in to buy my important products and services from me...if I only had a strong snow diverter above my entrance so people can get in....even little ol me!" You are thinking to yourself, where were you when things were slow, Ugh! 
We have all heard the phrase, April showers bring May Flowers right? Do April showers bring May awnings, yes, but should they? No. The reason is simple, but as to why will have to wait until after my next point I am about to make....
Are Awnings just used for rain determent? Is an awning's only use to hide under when it rains or snows? (In case you are wondering, the answer is N to the O.) If that were the case then we would all carry an awning around with us, WAIT we do...they are called umbrellas. 
The reason I bring this up is because I don't want you to wait to get an awning order when your customer calls you because they finally see the practical reason for having an awning. You need to let them know ahead of time why they are important. Don't get caught reacting to demand instead create the demand. In this case the demand is already there. Sure awnings are a great way to protect the drive-thru patron from wet fries and the person waiting for a taxi to stay dry and preventing the snow and ice from piling in front of department store and all these other practical uses for awnings, buuuut, the answer my friends is not practicality, rather aesthetically. I said it, there is the big one; aesthetics ! They look great! Awnings look great on a building, covering islands, above windows and so on. They are not unlike Lebowski's rug, but instead of the room, they tie the building together.
In the future bring the idea to them now, so they don't bring it to you later...if they ever do. The age old discipline will just have to apply here, GO OUT AND GET'EM! There is no secret recipe here except the general public doesn't know what they need until they do. However, they would be so much more grateful to you, if you'd let them know that the awning they are about to buy from you is going to save them alot of sunburns, soggy patrons and shoveling and oh yeah, IT LOOKS GREAT!!! Once they are happy, you are happy and then we will all be singing in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment